“The Price is Right” FAQs (Regarding Prizes)

Aurora De Lucia laughing on The Price is Right

(For FAQs regarding being on/getting on the show, see yesterday’s post.)

Disclaimer: Obviously, I’m not an official Price is Right person. These answers are just based on my experience as a contestant.

1) Did you have to pay taxes on your prizes?

Yes I did. I had to pay sales tax to pick up the car ($2,067). And, though it has not happened yet, since my appearance was pretty recent – I hear they send you a 1099 at the end of the year for your taxes. So, the value of everything I won counts as income, and I’ll need to pay Uncle Sam accordingly. (For more on the taxes, read this post.)

2) Can you just take the cash value of your prize?

I get this question so often! “So, did you take the car or the cash value?” There is no cash value option. They make it super clear in all of the paperwork – you take exactly what you won, or you take nothing. (You don’t have to take every single thing you won – for instance, I could’ve accepted the car, but forfeited the camcorders. But, you can’t trade for a different car, or money, or anything like that.)

(Though, I have heard a rumor that if somehow a company goes out of business or something and between your tape date and air date, and it actually becomes impossible to get you your prizes, you may have the cash value. But who knows a) if that’s true, b) how often that situation actually happens.)

Aurora De Lucia after falling on the ground on The Price is Right

The Price is Right paperwork does say the show can give you something comparable. For instance, my camcorders are 2 slightly different versions of the same thing. One is bit newer (I think it came out after my show taped.) But, the paperwork protects them. As long as they give you basically the same thing of equal or greater value, it’s all good.)

3) How long does it take to get your prizes?

My camcorders got to my house before the show even aired! I picked up the car the very afternoon that my show aired. And the $96 should be coming sometime in the 3 months after the air date. (I hear that money always takes longer to receive than any other prize, for some reason.)

As far as how the car works, the dealership can call you anytime within 90 days of your show airing. You have 10 days from the day they call you to pick up the car, otherwise you forfeit it. (If they call you before your show airs – and happily/luckily that’s when they called me – my understanding is you get your 10 days starting from the date your show airs. (But I didn’t want to wait 10 days. I wanted that car in my possession as soon as humanly possible.)

Also, as far as cars go, they’re one of the few things not delivered to your house. The Price is Right picks a dealership, I believe within 150 miles of your home, and you figure out a way to get there and pick up that car. (And if you’re planning on driving it straight off the lot to Carmax – be aware – it took me probably at least 2 weeks to get the official title in the mail. I only had temporary paperwork before that. (And you’re gonna need that title to sell your car, if that’s what you plan on doing. Speaking of that…))

4) Are you allowed to sell/give away your prizes?

Once they’re in your possession, you can do basically whatever you want. The Price is Right will not deliver anything anywhere except your home address. So, if you win a bedroom set or something and decide you want to give it to your parents, you have to decide how to ship it from you to them.

Aurora De Lucia going for a hug with Drew Carey on The Price is Right

You also have to have the car titled in your name. You can sell it if you want, but only after it’s gone through your hands.

(If it’s a trip, it’s in your name. So you gotta go. But trips are awesome. (I’ve never been on a trip from a game show, but I do love traveling.) So, I don’t know why you wouldn’t go (unless you just really could not afford the taxes).)

5) Do you get anything just for being in contestants’ row?

As far as I know, you get $300 (not that day – in the form of a check mailed to your home within 90 days of your air date).

6) What did you do with your prizes, Aurora?

I have an upcoming post about that.

As far as I know, that covers all the questions related to prizes. (Tomorrow, we’ll deal with a more philosophical type question of whether it’s okay to out-bid someone by $1.)

If you have any other questions at all, please leave them in the comments, or Email Me!

Tagged: , , , , ,

Comments: 26

1. Anonymous Monday, August 19, 2013 at 1:24 pm Reply

My name is Aurora and I have a blog too how did it come to be that there are two or more?

• Aurora De Lucia Monday, August 19, 2013 at 3:15 pm Reply

I don’t find that too surprising. I’m sure there are many Auroras out there, and blogging is a somewhat popular thing to do… But, hello Aurora! I wish you would’ve left a link to your blog. I would’ve checked it out!

2. Anonymous Monday, August 19, 2013 at 1:24 pm Reply

Seriously, these people are adults? Of course you have to pay taxes on gifts worth a certain amount! That’s no surprise!! Are you new here???

Amounts forgiven by banks in short sales are also subject to being taxed….

How do people in this country expect things get paid for? You know, roads, courts, agencies who perform services (like the VA) It all takes MONEY PEOPLE!!!!

Read MY lips “No more free rides”!!!

• Aurora De Lucia Monday, August 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm Reply

I was totally fine with paying my taxes on the car. The amount of taxes prevented me from being able to afford keeping the car, but I would’ve sold it anyway – electing to pay off my debt.

So, I’m not mad (or surprised) about the taxes.

I’m just stating the fact that they exist (since many people don’t seem to know they do…).

As far as what our taxes are used for… I’m sure I could have many conversations about whether we’re putting our money in our right place as a country. ;) But as a citizen, it’s my job to pay into the taxes (even if I don’t really believe in how much we put toward wars & defense), and work on getting politicians I believe in elected. So, it’s all good with me!

3. Yakezie (@Yakezie) Monday, August 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm Reply

Sign me up for winning a car and having to only pay taxes any day ! :)

Thanks for highlighting the fact on taxes, the largest expense we all face.

Best,

Financial Samurai

• Aurora De Lucia Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 1:05 am Reply

You know, I’ve actually heard that comment (“sign me up for winning a car and having to only pay taxes any day”) a lot. And I don’t want to sound ungrateful in the least, because I really am oh so grateful for my good fortune!

But I also think it’s a little silly how people marginalize the taxes for game shows winners. I hear this “wah wah, poor me – buck up, you won on a game show!” attitude all around the internet if any past winner even dare utter the word “taxes.”

But, taxes are very real. For me (and I’d think many others), taxes definitely prohibited me from keeping the car.

First, we start with sales tax. I paid a little over $2,000 just to pick up the car.

Then, let’s estimate how much you’ll pay in federal. You have to pay taxes on the value of your winnings. For me, my winnings totaled about $21,000.

Now, I don’t know what bracket everyone’s going to be in. But let’s just assume that this money is taxed at the 25% rate. That means you’re paying $5250 in federal.

Then, you have California state. Let’s just assume you’re paying 8% (and if you have a higher income, you could even be paying more, but I’m just keeping it in a safe hypothetical range here). So, at 8%, you’re paying $1680.

Add those estimations together:
      Sales – $2,000
      Fed – $5250
      State – $1680
      TOTAL: $8930(!)

(Again, those are just assumptions. This would easily be more for people in higher income brackets. (And, I will concede it could be less if someone has enough deductions, credits, etc.))

So, in a safe hypothetical rang, you’re paying close to $9,000 for a car. But that’s starting to get toward the price you could actually buy a car for in the first place.

So the idea that “only having to pay the taxes” still leaves you with a practically free car… I don’t know how other people feel, but to me $9,000 is not practically free.

Again, I’m very thankful. And even selling the car for a depreciated price (because it had previously been owned – even if only for single digit miles), I still of course made thousands of dollars (even after the tax bill).

So, I’m very happy and very thankful. But I’ll never stop thinking it’s funny that people trivialize $9,000(ish) as though it’s totally nothing just because it’s a bill from something fun as opposed to income.

(By the way, I hope you don’t think I’m specifically calling you out or yelling at you. (I’m not trying to yell at all, but I know the internet feels very yell-y.) It’s just that so many people have said that same thing, I needed to say a general response to it… So much so that I’m going to turn this into another blog post. So, thanks for the idea! :-))

4. Lenore Monday, August 19, 2013 at 7:10 pm Reply

Wow in Canada whatever you win is all yours to keep.

• Aurora De Lucia Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 12:49 am Reply

Lenore, that sounds lovely! I would guess that many (possibly even a majority) of U.S. game show winners either forfeit or sell prizes because they just can’t afford to keep them…

But up there, not only do you get to keep your game shows prizes tax-free, you still somehow afford socialized medicine. Canada sounds like it rocks! :-)

• Mike Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 8:18 am Reply

But in Canada the biggest prize would be a tire for a car!!!

• Aurora De Lucia Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 9:24 am Reply

lol! Huh, I don’t watch a lot of Canadian game shows (or any really, that I can think of). So, I’m glad you brought that up, Mike! :-)

5. Anonymous Monday, August 19, 2013 at 8:31 pm Reply

The reason you wouldn’t take a trip vacation is that, from what I understand, all departures are from Los Angeles. The trip is to New York and you live in Boston? Too bad… gotta leave from LA.

• Aurora De Lucia Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 12:45 am Reply

That is actually a very good point! As someone who lives in Los Angeles, I basically forgot what an inconvenience that would be to fly back out here first.

However, in the scenario you provided, I’d imagine the person would take the trip, just elect not to use the plane tickets, and take a bus/train instead. And then they would still use the meat of the New York trip – the hotel, any sightseeing and all that jazz…

But yes, I could see many scenarios in which it would be frustrating and maybe not worth it to take the trip after all…

• Anonymous Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 5:30 pm Reply

But you’d still have to pay the taxes on the plane ticket, right? I had read similar stories about game show prizes lately and thought about trying to start up a website that would make it easier to connect winners with people who would buy the prizes but it’s starting to sound like a lot of red tape and hassle.

• Aurora De Lucia Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 7:51 pm Reply

Probably. You definitely have to pay taxes on everything you receive, whether or not you get to use it or sell it or whatever. The only way you avoid the taxes is if you fill out the paper to forfeit a prize.

Now, I know you can elect not to take certain prizes. For instance, I could’ve forfeited the camcorder package, or the car, or my $96.

However, I do not know whether you can forfeit prizes within the prizes. (Examples: only taken 3 of my camcorders instead of 4, or only take parts of the trip (such as hotel) and leave others (such as plane tickets).)

But I would not be surprised if you couldn’t do that, and that in order to take the trip you had to pay taxes on the full value of said trip.

Someone could always just tell the guest they’re taking, “Hey, come on my game show trip, but kick in on the taxes!” to lessen the burden…

6. Maral Monday, August 19, 2013 at 9:23 pm Reply

Congratulations I’m glad you won, it sounds like you have a level head and did the right thing. Thanks for the information even though I don’t expect I’ll be winning any prizes soon.

• Aurora De Lucia Tuesday, August 20, 2013 at 12:50 am Reply

Thank you, Maral, and thanks for your comment!

And you never know what could happen if you (metaphorically, probably) throw your hat in a ring somewhere! :-)

7. Anonymous Friday, August 23, 2013 at 8:22 am Reply

My dream is to be on The price is right! I figured on taxes and such but wow $9000 is a lot. of course I would do what I can with deductions’. Imgaine the people that win super huge!

• Aurora De Lucia Friday, August 23, 2013 at 10:24 am Reply

I know, right? The other day I saw a man win over $50,000 worth of prizes. Once you win that big, you’re most likely bumped to an even higher tax bracket on part of that…

It’s funny that there might be this line somewhere for each person – a magic number at which you’d actually take home more by winning less (when the prizes are mainly physical things instead of cash money).

8. blackcrystal2012 Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 7:22 pm Reply

came across your blog after going on the price is right myself. what a rush and a wonderful experience it has been. #1 question is of course about taxes. I won a cash prize of 10k plus the items I bidded on. can’t believe they have basically 5 months to send cash but anyhoo just grateful that its coming. Congrats to you!

• Aurora De Lucia Friday, September 13, 2013 at 11:45 am Reply

Wow, that’s amazing. Congrats on your win!

9. Lynn Saturday, December 28, 2013 at 8:10 pm Reply

My son won a pool table that was not delivered within the 90 day after airdate. You think CBS will provide a cash buyout now?

• Aurora De Lucia Sunday, December 29, 2013 at 9:15 am Reply

Hmm, I never really thought about what happens if they don’t get things to people on the timetables they set up… Also, I think they give themselves 180 days for furniture, which is the category I think the pool table might fall under… I found the prize coordinator to be extremely sweet and helpful. So, I’m sure she’ll help you if you have any questions. Good luck, and congrats to your son, Lynn!

10. Alex Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 3:23 pm Reply

Congrats on your wins and thanks for all the info. I am going to the show in the end of March. Can’t wait. But not sure if I want to win big anymore lol

• Aurora De Lucia Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 8:25 am Reply

lol! Thanks for the comment, Alex! (And I still think it’s totally worth it to win big. :-))

11. carla pruyt Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 4:10 pm Reply

when you have a show with siblings or friends, why do you give one price,how ius that going to work for the people sharing the car.i think you need to give 2 equal prices,ior 2 vacations,how can they enjoy the price,when it is only for one person.i do love the show,but this is not right

• Aurora De Lucia Friday, April 11, 2014 at 8:23 pm Reply

Hey Carla, I have no idea, but I do wonder that myself… Money’s not hard to split. And you could go on vacations together. But it is weird to think about splitting cars between adult siblings who likely do not live in the same home anymore…