My Open Heart Surgery Scar

Sunday, July 21st, 2013

You asked for it, you got it!

*Heads up* An open heart surgery scar is visible later in this post! First I talk about, then I show it. You will be re-warned before I show it. (I promise.)

I have people coming to my blog almost every day through searches such as “woman’s open heart surgery scar.” I assume these are women who’ll be having open-heart surgery who want to know what they’re gonna have to deal with.

As someone who’s been through it, I’ll show you. I have a completely un-retouched photo in this post. (The lighting’s not special or perfect, but I think can you see what you need to.)

I don’t care if the photo’s embarrassing. If it helps the curious patients, I’m happy to do it. I don’t know if this qualifies as over-sharing. Sometimes I’m not sure what the line is between helpful-sharing/quelling curiosity and over-sharing/annoying people.

I feel like on this specific blog though, I don’t worry about it too much. If you come here, you’re here to hear about my life. I’m not mucking up a feed on some social network. If you’re here, you’re gonna get me, I’m pretty sure.

A picture is worth 1,000 words. So, I guess you don’t need me to say anything else. Nonetheless, I’ll talk about it a little.

My doctors were amazingly wonderful. They definitely made my scar as small as they could. In the scheme of open-heart surgery scars, mine’s pretty small. Not all scars will look like mine. (My surgery was performed by Dr. Gus Vlahakes at Mass General, in case you’re looking for my incredible surgeon.)

Yes, my scar’s not pleasant to look at. And yes, as all other scars, I can feel it. And it feels weird. Personally, I think it feels weirder than normal scars because you can tell my sternum was broken in two. Sternums have a specific feel. And mine doesn’t feel that way.

My scar can be almost completely hidden by my cleavage. (Just a tiny bit sticks out at the very top, but unless someone is really paying attention, I don’t think it’s usually noticed. (Or maybe it’s noticed all the time, and people just rarely point it out to me. Who knows, really.))

If I were a bikini-wearing lady, things would be different, ’cause breasts aren’t pushed together in most bikini tops. (I don’t wear bikinis ’cause my abs shouldn’t be flaunted and I hate the sun, not ’cause of scar embarrassment.)

In addition to the main scar, at the bottom of the photo, you can see two lighter horizontal dashes. I think those are from my epicardial ablation. There are a few little horizontal dashes down there. I think some are from random tubes/wires that stuck out of me after surgery.

Speaking of the photo, I try to make my blog suitable for all audiences. I try not to post any inappropriate photos. But I don’t consider this to really be inappropriate. My breasts are covered. But because I know people still might not want to be looking at a random woman’s torso wherever you read this. I’ve left a good scrolling space so the photo doesn’t show up as, bam, the first thing.

So, here we go.

*re-warning (last warning)*
The open-heart surgery scar photo is below. If you don’t want to see it, stop right here. Don’t scroll down. Leave this post, and hopefully I’ll see you tomorrow! (If you do want to see it, get scrolling!)

post-surgery woman's open heart surgery scar - the scar in the middle of the sternum

47 thoughts on “My Open Heart Surgery Scar

1. Zoe

That’s not too bad at all – considering the extent of surgery. I think it’s great that you’re fairly confident and you’ve given me some positivity. Thanks for sharing!

1. Aurora De Lucia

It’s all probably about our perception, I suppose. I’m sure probably most people who have one thinks it looks crappy. (I know I have good and bad days with mine.) No one wants to have a scar in the middle of her chest. :-P Thank you for commenting! :-)

2. Anonymous

Thank you for sharing. I’m 3 weeks out and am currently disgusted by mine but I know it will get better. Yours looks amazing. ;)

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

I’m sorry to hear you’re disgusted with yours… But I completely understand. I had a really hard time dealing with mine. Even still, I sometimes struggle with it.

I hope your surgery went well and that your recovery goes smoothly. Thanks very much for commenting!

3. Jen

Wow, you are very lucky! Your scar looks great. I just had my third open heart surgery a few weeks ago. My scar is MUCH longer and unfortunately, can’t be hidden well. I am very grateful for my wonderful surgical team, but as a 30-year-old woman I’m a little more self-conscious now. Mine is healing well though and I’m blessed to have a healthy heart again.

4. Jeff

Your scar does not look bad at all! I had anterior cervical surgery where they went through my neck and my scar looks much worse. Yours is honestly not bad at all. With your warning in the article of the upcoming photo, I was ready for something really bad. Yours looks like it healed really nice.

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, I guess maybe I little over-warned and will perhaps edit that down… I just don’t want to catch anyone off guard on the internet who’s just reading along non-chalantly then all of a sudden, “Wait! What’s that?! Gah!” :-P

5. Sue

I had open heart surgery 17 months ago and I have a very red bumpy scar. Your scar is beautiful. I was prepared to view something totally different.

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

Well, thank you for saying it’s beautiful. I’m sorry to hear you don’t seem pleased with your scar, but I hope you had a very successful surgery and are at least feeling healthier! (Sorry, I know that’s not always good enough…)

1. Roxanne

Thank you for sharing. Will have my surgery shortly and was wondering about incision. I know each person is different but glad u posted picture

6. Rosa

Hello. You and your scar are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I’m scheduled for mitral valve repair next week. Not scared but anxious. I’d be a dope if I wasn’t! Any advice? I’m having mine at Mt Auburn Hospital in Cambridge MA. Guess we’re neighbors. I’m a 62 year old active grandma. My “age-appropriate” plunging neckline may not be out of the question after all.

No symptoms but echo numbers are changing, condition severe. Doc suggests surgery before irreversible heart damage. I’m SO ready. Thanks.

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

Thank you for your kind comment, Rosa.

I don’t know if I have any advice, really. All I’d really say is use that breathing apparatus they give you to practice using big breaths! Better to work on it right away and get back into the swing of life sooner rather than later – or at least that what’s I found.

I wish you luck with your mitral valve repair! Thanks again for commenting.

7. Rosa

Hello
    Surgery (mitral valve repair) was 1-21, went excellent. Not as bad as some would imagine. Could have come home in 4 days but I opted to stay an extra day. I have all positive stories.
    Rosa

8. Rosa

Anybody post open heart (mitral valve repair) anybody ever experience daily migraines with brief aura and/or finger numbness? Migraines are worse than the surgery. Seeing surgeon next week. I have had migraines for many years. Thanks.

9. Brogan

Hey I have a question about your scar I had surgery 4 weeks ago (Ross procedure) How long did it take for your scar to look like that? As mine is very visable. Also Rosa I was the same I had migraines everyday and numbness in my fingers and toes. It has cleared up now but my doctor put me back on to my daily migraine tablets.

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

Hi Brogan. It definitely didn’t look like this at the beginning. I don’t remember exactly how long it took to settle down to looking like this, but I’d say it probably took two months?

10. robyn

Hi..Thank you for sharing. I’m lying in bed at the Brigham as we speak. My scar doesn’t look like yours but it’s about 3 days post op. I’m 43. Still scared as heck..mine appears glued, thick and ugly.

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

Hi Robyn, thanks for commenting. I hope your scar heals well soon. Sorry to hear you’re in the hospital, but glad to hear you’re 3 days post op. It’s (hopefully) all better from here! My best advice, if I’d be so bold as to give some, is to get away from the internet for a while… It can be a real dark, scary, black hole here in cyberspace. I know sometimes I feel worse when I fall into the rabbit’s hole of comparing myself to other people… Good luck with your recovery!

11. Mathilda

Thank you for sharing, Aurora! I remember before and after I had my open heart surgery at twenty, I couldn’t find anyone who had a blog about their heart condition, scar or post-op life. Now, 3 1/2 years later, the wound has healed but I had some issues with scar tissue so it is much more obvious than yours! Some times I struggle with wearing a low cut top, for fear of attracting unwanted attention, at times I wear my bikini and put on my don’t-give-a-damn attitude. Still trying to train up my fitness level but some days are so long and tiring my muscles won’t barge. How do you keep your energy going? :) I am amazed and inspired by what you have achieved! Just thought you needed to hear that! Stay healthy and happy x

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

Thank you so much, Mathilda, for this lovely and wonderful comment! How sweet!

As far as how I keep my energy up… sometimes I’m better than others (as I think most people are). But anytime my energy isn’t high enough, I just try to think about all the things I want to accomplish. Those dreams usually get me up and moving! :-)

I totally feel you on the whole being scared of what you’re gonna wear thing. I’m sure it will be a long time ’til I can rock a bikini, but if that ever happens, I’ll definitely be going after one that hides my scar… I’ll probably try laser scar removal at some point. I hear it can work wonders. But I guess we shall see!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

12. Barbara Johnson

I had my open heart surgery 52 years ago when the heart lung machine first started being used. I never covered my scar, mine starts at the base of my neck and goes down close to where yours does. I have a large tube hole scar to one side and another in my groin. At time of mine it was I would live or die, no other in between. I have had a super life and lived and traveled half way around the world and have a son, husband died 4 years ago.
    Good luck to all who have to endure this type surgery.

13. jessie

Hey, I’m 21. I’ve had 3open heart and 3 cardiac caths. And a valve replacement
    Soon. Your scar is beautiful. Mine looks like someone tried to kil me. Its about 14 inches long, and I have about 4 places on my belly where tubes were, two on each wrist, some on my foot, and on next to my groin. I’ve also had a uvula fix. I’m sitting here at the doctors office waiting too see if ill have my 8th surgery done. But thankfully withj new technology It will go through a vein in my inner thy. You are so lucky that your scar is small. I’m thankfull for mine, and I do modeling with it shown. I used to be embarassed about it but now iim not because I know I’m not alone(:

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

Wow, Jessie! I am so sorry to hear about all you’ve been through with your health. That’s great that you’re finding confidence in your body though. :-) Good luck with everything in the future, and thanks for your comment!

2. Tamisyn

Hi jessi, I’m 27 years old and have had 6 open heart surgerys and my most recent was two months ago. It’s rare to find people that are young that have had multiple surgerys. Since my 6th surgery I have struggled to recover each time gets harder and harder. But I’m very lucky to be alive. :) hope your doing well.

14. kar

Your scar is not bad at all. Lovely hands. Thank you for posting…I will be facing same.
    I do put keloids though so I think mine won’t look so good.

15. Kat

THAT LOOK SPECTACULAR that’s amazing compared to mine I have three thick scar lines as well as round scars form chest tube sites. You should he very proud of yours.

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

Well, thank you Kat. I think you’re correct that as far as open heart surgery scars go, mine is pretty darn good – of course, I wish it weren’t there. :-P But you win some, you lose some, I suppose!

16. Patricia o

Thank you! I’m about to go under the knife and am gratified a scar can be minimal! I feel better. Thank you!! P

17. Linda

I am now 8 weeks out….my scar is longer and, of course, still looks worse.
    What bothers me is that it is increasingly uncomfortable and it has lumpiness at the bottom of my sternum and upper part lifts like a small hill over the scar.

1. Aurora De Lucia Post author

Hey Linda, Thanks for your comment. I agree it can be kind of uncomfortable. Now that I’m getting thinner, I think it’s a bit more pronounced. I can feel it more. I can sort of feel the little wire (or whatever is threaded in there) holding it all together. But it could be worse for sure. I hope it continues to get better for you! (And congrats on (I’m assuming?) a successful surgery. :-))

18. Jenni Collier

Your scar is a lot better than mine… Mine stretches from almost my collarbone to about 3 inches away from my belly button, and it is usually visible with what I wear. It’s been 14 years since my last surgery, almost 15, as I had it when I was three days old. I’m having another surgery next year, and I’m hoping that with time my scar will be as unnoticeable as yours…

I'd love to hear from you! So whaddya say?