My First Ultramarathon?! – Part 21 (Finishing the Race (& Eating, Showering, and Such))

November 8, 2014

Aurora with messy hair and muddy neck after her Spartan trifecta-in-a-day 2014
A silly selfie before my shower to document one more time the mess I am after the race

Picking up from yesterday

I came to the fire, and happily jumped over it one last time! Then I ran through the finish, and got my medal and my t-shirt ticket. (And I had my timing chip cut off.)

I went over to the merchandise area, turned in my tickets, and got my t-shirts. I’d learned from the last Spartan race that in Spartan shirts, I’m a small. (A small!) So, I got my 3 shirts.

It was perhaps a little silly to take all 3 (one of each race) when they were all the same. But I’m happy I did. They’re super comfortable. I wear them all the time. And this way, one is practically almost always clean.

I grabbed my bag from bag check. And I used the $5 merchandise credit for a patch. I don’t know where I’m gonna put the patch, but that’s a cool thing I love about Spartan – even though you have to pay to check your bag, you get to use that money toward merch. So, woo hoo!

Once I got to the car, I’d forgotten I’d packed that extra post-race bag. I was so pleased with myself for all my extra kind bars and a banana and those precious extra towels, along with sandals to change into – and a whole ‘nother clean outfit.

I didn’t know where the showers were. I didn’t even know if they were still running at that point. It was dark, late, and cold. I knew everybody wanted to go home. So even if showers were still running, I didn’t want to be the last runner taking up time and space.

So, I just ripped my clothes off by the car, hoping no one was really paying attention.

I toweled a bunch of mud off and changed into my clean clothes.

I thought about getting food on the way back to my dad’s house, but I decided I was more tired than hungry. So, I went straight back to where I was staying, jumped on a quick shower, then went to bed.

I thought I would sleep forever. I slept for 4 or 5 hours. I woke up starving! My dad is a very early riser, and it felt like I was a little girl all over again when I saw him and said, “Daaaaddy, can you please take me to buy some chips? I’m soooooo hungry.”

Technically, I’m obviously capable of driving myself. But I was tired and cranky and wanted Daddy to drive me. And he did. I then proceeded to eat a party size bag of chips within the next few hours.

Later, I ran all my laundry through at a laundromat (so as not to get my parent’s machines gunky)… (I did run the laundromat machines an extra cycle after my clothes were done to be respectful of their machines as well, though.) I also ran my own clothes through 3 times! Stuff was so dirty. It all got cleaner each time.

So there you have it. Clean clothes. A full stomach. A happy girl… An ultramarathoner!

I will give a final few thoughts soon.

I'd love to hear from you! So whaddya say?