That Time I (Maybe?) Gave Away A Kidney – Part 18 (Finishing Big Kidney Day 1)

March 4, 2015

Aurora De Lucia stuffing her face with nachos
Mmmmm nachos

Time for another installment of this Wednesday/Sunday night series!

Picking up from last time

As I’m leaving the psychiatrist’s office, he says he’ll send off his recommendation right away. He even turns to his computer to do it as I’m walking out.

We had such a magical time. (He told me right there I’d make a great kidney donor!)

Does that mean I’m going to get to be one?!

Well, there’s still the social worker to consider, though nothing super out of the ordinary happened with that interview. And I still have a couple of appointments the next day. So, I’m still holding on tight, but with a big sense of hope!

After the interview with the psychiatrist, I’m done for the day – and I’m so relieved! I made it out alive.

As I wait for a car to pick me up, and I rip into those nachos, from Native Foods Cafe, like there’s no tomorrow. I’ve been holding in nerves all day. It’s finally time to chow down.

Once a car comes and gets me, it’s off to a quick stop off at the tailor to grab my Emmy dress.

Then it’s off to work for a half day. Thankfully, things were winding down, so I didn’t feel that I missed an incredible amount of stuff that morning. Still, I stayed a little late, trying to be a cool team player and all.

I crash pretty soon after arriving at my friend’s place in Santa Monica later that night.

Yes, I’ve mentioned in these posts that I realized it wasn’t necessarily a good idea to be anywhere but home before my appointments. However, at that point, it seemed silly to spend all the extra time going home and coming back to Santa Monica the next morning, on a somewhat tight turnaround (since I worked late that night and had an early appointment the next day).

Aurora trying on her dress for the creative Arts Emmys
(Since I’m kinda running out of kidney photos, here’s one from the tailor shop when I made the pit stop to try on the dress

Plus, with not as much on the line during the second day of appointments, I wasn’t the same ball of stress I’d been the previous night.

In fact, I think on that night, both of us were both less stressed and in a much more exhausted (aka totally ready to sleep) mood. So, we did a very quick download of each other’s days while we got ready for bed. And I was asleep before 10pm.

The next morning, unfortunately, I sort of overestimated how many times I could hit snooze. (And I’d possibly underestimated quite how tired I was after my day of barely breathing in my terrified-ness of Big Kidney Day.)

No matter what excuses I try to use to explain my mistake, I still made a mistake. The events surrounding that don’t really matter… I don’t want to admit it, but I was late to my appointment. (Agh!) In the scheme of life, being late is a somewhat small mistake, but still! I wanted a perfect record with gold stars! Grrr.

Embarrassingly (though spoiler alert: nothing detrimental happens), this is where I’ll pick up next time.

I'd love to hear from you! So whaddya say?