That Time I (Maybe?) Gave Away A Kidney – Part 22 (The End Of Day 2 Of Big Kidney Days)

Wednesday, March 18th, 2015
Aurora De Lucia trying to do a little badass pose with her armband after blood's taken

(After some blood was drawn sometime…)

Time for another installment of this Wednesday/Sunday night series!

Picking up from last time

Dr. R. and I were discussing the protein in my urine.

He asked if I’d worked out a lot that week. I said I’d gone running a few times, and I went to Bar Method a few times as well. He said that sometimes if you work out a lot, it can look like you have a lot of protein in your urine when you really don’t.

So, he asked me to retake the test, just without working out for 5 days before I start it.

Oof. 5 days. Okay. Will do.

I ask if there’s anything I need to change about my diet. We talk about my diet a little, and there’s really nothing to change there as far as he’s concerned.

Side note: He said that usually the people with the best outcomes are ones on plant-based diets. Since I’m on my vegetarian challenge, that really interests me (as my ears always perk up more than usual, when benefits of not eating meat are mentioned).

Overall, it’s a great meeting. He’s very kind. And he says we’ll speak again after I complete the next urine test.

That’s it for Big Kidney day! I’ve done it! Yee haw!

That was Friday August 15th. I went straight to work after my appointment. After work, I finished an errand I kept putting off – I finally bought some shoes for the Creative Arts Emmys (happening the next afternoon!).

Aurora De Lucia holding a Native Foods Cafe bag

Since we’re talking about a plant-based diet, how about yet another picture with Native Foods Cafe? (So glad I found this place during this process. Thanks UCLA! :-))

We lived our little Emmy vacation world all weekend. And soon after, I hear from my donor coordinator.

I’d written her right after I’d gotten back to work from my appointments that Friday, saying thanks for everything, asking when I should take the 24-hour-urine test again, and double checking that she’d gotten everything from me that she needed.

(Am I maybe slightly too gung-ho about this? Eh. Just being thorough!)

The plan for the 24-hour-urine collection was that hopefully I could take it in September. If I passed it, they’d need one more so they’d have something to confirm the good result (as opposed to just having one bad and one good result).

Aside from the next urine collection, she also said the results of one of my tests – (I think it was perhaps the chest x-ray?… Though I don’t know if x-rays can see this…) Whatever test it was indicated that I had a lump on my breast.

I needed to get a report that the lump was benign before we could proceed with anything.

I don’t want to leave you on a cliffhanger that might worry some until Sunday night. So, for now, I’ll just tell you fear not. This was nothing to worry about as I already knew it was there.

And this is where I’ll pick up next time.

I'd love to hear from you! So whaddya say?