That Time I (Maybe?) Gave Away A Kidney – Part 24 (The Mammogram)

March 29, 2015

Aurora waiting for her ultrasound:mammorgramTime for another installment of this Wednesday/Sunday night series!

Picking up from last time

I’m amazed at how quickly the imaging center got me in. I found out I had to get the lump cleared on a Monday. They saw me that Friday.

I got an appointment before work (my second to last day on that job). So early. I think I was in sometime in the 7 o’clock hour. (Ouch.) I thought I’d be in an out so quickly.


I should’ve known at this point that if it has to do with me giving a kidney, there will almost always be some extra little wrinkle.

They did the ultrasound, and for some reason it was inconclusive. How could this be? This same lump has already been looked at 5 years ago. I should’ve just had someone aspirate it then.

This time, in order to state that the lump was nothing to worry about, they had to do a mammogram as well.

But they had to wait for permission from my gynecologist to do it. (I think it’s something to do with insurance…) So, we wait for her office to open. She gives the go ahead. I have my first ever mammogram. It wasn’t even really uncomfortable. But it is weird to see the way fat on your body can me smushed in interesting ways…

Mammogram results state that the lump indeed looks to just be a little cyst. So, everything is a-okay. Thank goodness! I head to work as quickly as possible. Thankfully, I haven’t missed much.

[That was a really chill, cool, wonderful job (on Project Runway: Threads). Too bad we didn’t get picked up for season 2…]

As I’m leaving the imaging center (on August 22nd), I ask them to fax the reports to my donor coordinator. They said they would that day.

On the 25th, I emailed my donor coordinator, asking if she indeed got the reports. While I was at it, I thought I’d check in and see if she’d heard from the social worker. I tried to ask as nonchalantly as I could if everything (besides the urine collection) was in order (everything – including the social worker’s report).

She hadn’t yet received the reports from the imaging center (which was remedied soon after). And she had indeed received the report from the social worker. As long as my urine test came back without elevated protein (and I had a repeat one to confirm that), I would be a living kidney donor!(!!!)

And this is where we’ll pick up next time.

I'd love to hear from you! So whaddya say?