Auditioning for the BMI Musical Theatre Workshop! – Part 23 (Going Home)

October 12, 2015

Picking up from last time –

One of the panelists had left this cool treble clef paperclip on my packet. Gah! Someone before me brought treble clef paper clips?! Of course. Who am I thinking these little purple squares are good enough? Aye, aye, aye.

As Rick walked me out of the room, he said they should know by Monday.

Oof. Since they ended auditions Thursday at 2pm, I was hoping to find out by the weekend. But I can wait. I’m super strong and patient. [*she says as her voice breaks up*]

I walked out, and of course no one was in the waiting room, since I was the last person before lunch. I went back down to the cafe to meet B.

She looked up at me shocked, then looked at the time, then back at me. She couldn’t believe how fast it went. (I hardly could either.) I told her all about the audition. She felt good about it. Then we walked around, went to a Broadway show (that I’ve already talked about), went to dinner, and then we went to the airport and stayed up all night.

It was exhausting after a bunch of random nights of little or no sleep. (I pulled an all-nighter the night I went into New York. I only slept for 4 or so hours the night before the audition. My sleep schedule was a mess. And here we went with another all-nighter. So, I think my brain is a little dead… But I had the best time.

That was one thing we talked about at the airport. No matter what the outcome is – nothing can take away the incredible time we had. I thanked her profusely for coming, because it would not have been the same without her. And I would not have landed on that audition song on my own. And I really think it was the strongest choice.

She said it was her pleasure. She had the greatest time and was so happy she went.

I bought a I [heart] NY mug in the airport to commemorate the trip, ’cause I love mugs. And I just wanted to remember this trip, in this little bubble, in this moment, because it was really perfect.

(Though I did joke about how if I didn’t get in, I was probably going to have to dramatically throw the mug across a room, breaking it to never be used again, because who wants to be reminded of failure everyday?)

On the way to the airport, as we were in the uber, I looked out at the bright lights of the city and talked about how I just wasn’t ready to leave! I couldn’t leave again. I wanted nothing more but to be there, and I had to come back in two weeks. I had to get in to BMI.

She said not to worry, what’s done is done, and whatever will happen will happen.

That was definitely the healthy way to look at it. But for me, I just thought, I have to come back. I will, because I have to.

So, how did it all turn out? As I’m writing this, I don’t know. I’m in the Houston airport on a layover on my way back to LA on Wednesday. So, I’ll find out soon enough!

(psst. That was September 9 when I drafted this. But now that it’s posting in October, I do indeed know. And I’ll tell you tomorrow – though I’m guessing you know too. :-))

I'd love to hear from you! So whaddya say?