Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego 5k

June 3, 2017

I stayed in Europe until practically the last minute. I was at a layover in Moscow at some crazy time of morning just the morning before the 5k. I flew into LA – pretty much for the main reason that I wanted an LAX passport stamp. If I had JFK, I had to get LAX (or not, because that didn’t happen [which is the story for another post]). I mean, I also wanted to stop at home and check my mail and maybe see a friend or two and just be at home for a hot second… But I totally could’ve just flown into San Diego – especially because I thought I’d be in LA for the next week… Granted, that didn’t happen, because on the way to the Brussels airport, I got an email asking if I wanted to work for The Daily Show, and we finalized everything while I was in Moscow, which was amazing. 

So, maybe it’s better I got to fly into LA, since I didn’t get to go back after San Diego. Anyway, none of this really matters.

I got into San Diego not long before the race started – enough time to check into my hotel and shower and basically that was it.

I headed on down to the 5k. I was a little worried about singing the national anthem since my body had no real idea where I was or what time it was. I’d warmed up a bit in my hotel room and practiced by myself once I got to the race. I was like “I feel iffy, but I’m sure this will be fine. Jet lag isn’t a real excuse for anything!”

But alas, I think I was slightly thwarted from jet lag. I like to believe in my head that I’m some amazing performer who can always pull something out, but I don’t think that’s the actual real, real-life truth…. because I cracked a little on the top note, aaand it was even in a low key. I started too low and sounded kinda breathy on the low notes, ’cause they were too low for me. It just felt like a mess!

And I didn’t even get to get another shot right away, as I wasn’t the person singing the following day. So, I had to wait a couple of weeks for a chance to redeem myself. (We’ll see how that goes soon enough at Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle.

Anyway, I did the 5k, then went to the expo and got my stuff for the next day.

I hung out for a bit. I knew I wanted to go to bed early, but did I want to go to bed 11-am-early? I didn’t want to get up around 1am and have hours of nothing. I wanted my best shot to get on at least a kiiiiiinda normal-ish sleep schedule.

So, I hung out at the expo for a hot second.

[Side note: I don’t aaaalways wanna be talking about how things relate to assault and my recovery, but I remember feeling so overwhelmed by the expo in Dallas, and here I felt fine and free. So, maybe it’s a sign I am getting better? Or at least was better on that day, who knows. I felt like the normal Aurora who loves crowds, not the new weird Aurora I don’t like who’s scared of people. So, yay.]

Then it was off to bed, super early – like, super early haha. I slept for something like 14 hours and weirdly it still didn’t feel like quite enough. But off we go to RnR San Diego Marathon, which I’ll talk about tomorrow! 

I'd love to hear from you! So whaddya say?