Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon – Part 2

Sunday, June 4th, 2017

Okay, so that was definitely supposed to say San Diego, not San Francisco, which will have a different post. Sorry about that. Anyway,

I pretty much kinda narrowly escaped the shuttle.

A giant part of the race was on a major highway, so had the shuttle caught me, I would not have had an easy time trying to be stubborn and move to the sidewalk – ’cause there as none.

Thankfully, I never even saw it on the highway. I did see it driving behind us back-of-the packers at the very end. Thankfully, by that point, I was home free!

At the end, I passed the massage tables to go get my heavy medal and marathoner jacket. 

This was dumb.

I didn’t even think to ask what the deal with massages was. (They were free and closing soon!)

I was lucky enough to have a VIP wristband from RnR for singing at the 5k, and there are always massages in the VIP area. And there a number of different groups post-RnR races – different charities and things that offer various things (like massages or special tents), so I thought these massages were for somebody else.

I went and got my heavy medal (the gold record as big as my face for doing 10 in a year). They don’t give those to you at European races (something with customs or shipping or whatever?). So, that’s why I got it here instead of Liverpool, for anyone counting along at home and wondering. 

Anyway, the medal was so heavy! They are not even kidding when they say “heavy medals.” I put it around my neck and was like “nope!”

Then the VIP tent was closed (of course – what did I expect when I was practically last place?). So, I headed back to the massages just to see what the deal was. But then they were closed! Aye aye aye. Medals could be sent or picked up in the future, but my body was hurting and I’d passed my chance at a massage. Oh well.

I still had a little bit of touristy-time before the airport. It was too late to do a full-on San Diego thing (like the zoo or Sea World or what have you). So I racked my brain. I’ve been here multiple times and I have kind of a running list of things I didn’t hit before. One of which was Richard Walker’s pancake house. I keep hearing about how famous it is, and I’ve never been!

BUT, they were closed! [*cries 1,000 tears into my non-existent pancakes*]

So I made a quick stop by Balboa Park to give kind of an ambiance feeling of San Diego for a few medal pics.

And then it was off to the airport. [I thought I’d stay a few days and check some more things off the list… but alas, I had to go get on a plane and head back earlier than planned, because… I was starting work at The Daily Show!!!

I'd love to hear from you! So whaddya say?