That Time I (Maybe?) Gave Away A Kidney – Part 29 (Turning In The 2nd Urine Collection & Waiting For Results)

May 3, 2015

Aurora giving face with urine sample
Posing with my pee containers 😛

Time for another installment of this Wednesday/Sunday night series!

Picking up from last time

I didn’t do much of anything the rest of the night, so that I wouldn’t have to do anymore pee transporting in restaurant cups (aye, aye, aye).

The next morning (October 11th), I woke up early to get out to UCLA and turn in my pee – in time to turn around to Pasadena for my monthly morning Mensa board meeting (of the LA chapter) .

I turned in two full containers to UCLA. The woman in the lab said, “I can’t believe so much could come out of such a small person!”

I was still very much new to not being quite so fat. Even at the time you’re reading this, I still might be getting used to being thinner. So, anytime anyone calls me small, I throw a ticker tape parade in my head – making that interaction really fun for me.

For anyone following how many millions of times I talk about Native Foods Cafe in these posts (they don’t give me anything to mention them, I just love them) – alas, they were not open before I had to leave Westwood. (That’s why I mentioned the detail about that morning meeting I had to get to). Oh well. I’m sure there will be many more visits to UCLA.

(Spoiler alert: There won’t be another one until much later than I thought.)

Aurora De Lucia smiling with urine samplesI thought I’d done everything right. I didn’t work out at all for 5 days leading up to the test. Heck, I barely even had any protein! I was eating carbs, carbs all the time – just in case.

On October 13th, I got an email from my donor coordinator saying Dr. R would call me with the results.

Wait, what?

I kind of assumed I’d get a happy email from her asking me to set up my final urine collection after this one came back in the normal range.

I didn’t think it was a good sign that I had to wait for a doctor’s call. That usually means bad news if you have to hear something straight from the doctor, right?

I tried not to worry too much about it. Maybe he wants to call to give me the good news! I don’t know.

When I don’t hear from him after a day or two, I reach out to my donor coordinator asking when I should expect the call. Then I find out he’s out of town.

On October 17th, he calls me.

[*hangs head*]

This is where we’ll pick up next time.

I'd love to hear from you! So whaddya say?